Our Neurologist – Dr. Athni
- Dr. Athni has been in Macon, Georgia since mid-1995. He is an independent physician and is not employed or managed by any outside agency or hospital.
- He is heavily involved in teaching student-doctors and resident-doctors-in-training
- Students and Residents rotate thru the office to learn one-on-one from Dr. Athni
- Dr. Athni has written peer-reviewed journal articles, and has co-authored a chapter in an academic textbook
- Aside from his clinical practice, he is the President of the Georgia Neurological Society
Board Certifications – Affiliations – Accreditation:
- President of Georgia Neurological Society
- Assistant Clinical Professor @ Medical College of GA
- Board Certified by the American Board of Neurology & Psychiatry (ABPN)
- *** Practice is limited to Neurology, and we do NOT provide Psychiatric services ***
- Board Eligible in Electrodiagnostic Medicine and Sleep Medicine (ABSM)
- Diagnostic Lab is Accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
- Deep Brain Certification (DBS)
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS)
- Therapeutic Botulinum Toxin Injections (Botox and Xeomin)
- Dr. Athni grew up in New York, and received most of his post-high school education and medical training in Houston, Texas.
- He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental and Civil Engineering from Rice University in Houston, Texas, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
- He then received his MD from Baylor College of Medicine, also in Houston, Texas, graduating with Honors.
- This was followed by his Internal Medicine and Neurology Residency at Baylor College of Medicine.
- While in Macon, Dr. Athni has also obtained his MBA (Masters of Business Administration) at Mercer University.
- After his formal education and training, Dr. Athni initially worked as an educator and instructor in Houston at Baylor College of Medicine medical school.
- He then worked for an HMO in Dallas, Texas, before becoming the Medical Director for Neurology of Central Georgia in Macon, Georgia.
Hospital and University Affiliations:
- Affiliated with the Coliseum Health System, with consulting privileges at Macon Northside Hospital
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology at the Medical College of Georgia
- “Medicinal Plants: From Farm to Pharmacy” – Textbook published 2019 – Co-author of 1st Chapter “The Evolution of Modern Medicine: Garden to Pill Box“
- “Myotonic Dystrophy & Triplet Repeats” in Resident and Staff Physician, 3/95
- “Neuro-Anatomy” in Neurology Secrets, ’93, ’97, ’01, ’05, ’10 editor: Loren Rolak, MD
- Captain in U.S. Air Force Reserves, Medical Corps – Honorable Discharge
Current Academic Position:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology, Medical College of Georgia Augusta University, Augusta, GA
- Adjunct Clinical Instructor, Department of Family Medicine, Mercer University, Macon, GA